The First Baptist Church originally stood at the foot of Vernon st, near 686 Washington St, current site of Byblos restaurant and Burn Boot Camp (home of New England Taekwondo and Ice Jack for many years).
In September of 1938, Norwood was struck hard with the Hurricane of ’38. Many houses and buildings throughout Massachusetts were damaged or destroyed, and Norwood was no exception.
Trees were knocked down all over town and several buildings and houses were struck, but the most dramatic loss in Norwood was the spire at the First Baptist Church.
The fall of the church spire was captured in a several photos.
The replacement spire was a different, smaller style and changed the look of the Church completely.
In 1951, a new church was built near the corner of Bond and Walpole streets and the old church was torn down.